Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Annapolis Hip Mama Meetup Group

I was completely against joining a Mom's group. I'm just not one of those people who generally makes a lot of friends because I've never gone out of my way to do so. We bought a new house when I was pregnant because where we were living was unsafe. We ended up settling on the new house on my actual due date. Owen had come to us a week earlier via c-section and we moved to a new town within the same state, two days after we left the hospital. Needless to say, the move was a nightmare.

I quit my job in new home sales when my son was born and I've never regretted it. I get to spend all day engaging my kids and I love every second of it, even when Owen drives me batty! When he first came home, we didn't leave the house during the day unless we needed something. It just became our norm. Then when Owen was about 3 1/2 months old, I bought him a large inflatable pool for the backyard and we hung out back there a lot. One day, I asked my husband to help me empty it so I could clean it and possibly refill it for the next day. As he was doing this, he accidentally popped his finger through the plastic creating a BIG hole. The pool was destroyed. I was so upset. I must have cried for over 30 minutes. I yelled to my husband, "This is all we do!" He looked at me and said, "You need to get out more." He was right. I didn't even realize it but I had slowly been going crazy and it was all my fault. Why was I staying at home so much? I had a newborn, but he was older now and cold and flu season was over. I decided to change things up a bit.

I had heard a lot of talk from others about mom's groups. I decided I'd give it a try which is a giant step for a person like me. I went online to see what I could find and I found several and joined them all. Some I hated, some fell by the way side and some never even responded. There were a few you had to pay to join, but most were totally free! I became an active member of four of them and suddenly, my son had so many places to be and seemed to love all of it. He got lots more attention from other moms and he got to meet and play with kids his own age. We established weekly playgroups and began meeting with the same moms and kids every week. Over time, we didn't keep up with all of the mom's groups, but we stuck with the weekly playgroups we'd been a part of and it was awesome. The best mom's groups are listed on Meetup.com. We weekly playgroups that were started in the EC Meet-up group and the GSPM Group. Although I'm not really in those groups anymore, we enjoy meeting with our friends and Owen seems to love playing with the kids who are really sweet. I've settled into The Annapolis Hip Mama Meetup Group. I was able to do more with them before River was born, but there are a group of us who do things tofether often and it's always fun. The girl who runs it is wonderful, you don't have to pay to belong, other women don't look at you like they're smelling onions (in my observation) and the women I've met have become my friends. Not to mention what Owen has learned from his friends. We all ended up liking each other so much that once a year, we have our kid's pictures taken together. It is a nightmare of chasing kids around and begging them to look up about for 30-45 minutes, but it's worth it when we compare this year's pictures to last years. So, I'm glad I got over myself and gave in. Joining a mom's group is one of the smartest things I've done over the last two years. Well, that and deciding to have another baby. She was a good idea too!

No comments:

Post a Comment